Our beginning with the help of a Pope!
The first official minutes of this church read as follows with minor corrections. “On Sat. morning 5/6/1917, a good number of brethren, sisters and friends met at the Masonic Hall, Nogales, AZ, for the purpose of considering the advisability of organizing a Baptist Church. Rev. R.P. Pope, Baptist Missionary of the Home Missionary Society was present as was his wife. As a preliminary to the organization, Brother Pope preached from Genesis 13:2-13 exhorting those present to steadfastness, faith and to the pure doctrine of the Bible, laying stress on the matter of prayer and rendering to God a pure life, both in the home and the community.”
Our Move from Downtown Nogales!
A new church edifice was dedicated 2/17/1918 on Calvary HIll, later becoming Smelter St. The congregation faithfully met at this location until 1975. The current Christian Education Building (CE Building) was completed on 10 acres of previously purchased land off of Mariposa Rd. This building was dedicated on 2/16/1975 and served the many purposes of the small, but growing church extremely well for the next 25 years.
Building for the Kingdom!
In the late 1990s the church family entered into the “Building to Bless” program that led to our current sanctuary and multipurpose structure. The facility was dedicated on 4/9/2000 with former pastors, current and past members, numerous friends from the community, and the construction ministry team of “True Foundation Builders” all present. Philippians 1:6,9-11 was read at the close of that memorable dedication service and remains our hope and heart’s desire.
Our Newest Addition!
In 2007, our church family expanded the facilities once again by building a new Preschool Ministry Center to advance our commitment to Christian education (Sonshine Christian School). Finally in 2012, we added a modular building and could complete our pursuit of a full Elementary School Program by adding a 5th Grade!